Skip to main content

Thank you Bloom card with Studio Katia!




Hi guys!

Erica back on the BRI blog today, with my penultimate blog post as part of the Design Team here at Butterfly Reflections Ink. I can’t believe how quickly these 4 months have gone and I have so enjoyed my time here, I can only hope I have provided some inspiration for you all.



Right, before I get too soppy and emotional I am going to get on with today’s card. I have used a flower stamp from Studio Katia called ‘Thank You Very Much’, which I heat embossed with Gold Tinsel embossing powder from Ranger Ink. I stamped this up with VersaMark directly onto my Canson XL watercolour pad four times and sprinkled the embossing powder directly onto it. This was NOT a good idea by the way. DO not attemp this yourself. Save yourself the hassle of getting embossing powder all over your craft room and pull the sheet off the pad before stamping!


We had glorious sunshine weather here in Poland over the weekend so I took my heat embossed flowers and 36-pack Gansai Tambi water colour pack outside in the sunshine for some colouring. Once it got too hot (yes, really!!) I took the lot back inside and curled up on the sofa and some The Good Wife as I’m currently man-free.

These water colours are gorgeously creamy and rich, I really enjoy working with them and tried out a couple of different techniques whilst colouring each flower. One is loosely coloured, a few are done with some shading and the last one just kind of happened because I liked the colour. Water colouring is such a soothing way to colour, I just adore it and how gorgeous is that heat embossing?


Once the flowers were dry, I decided to use the yellow one and used the coordinating diecut to cut it out. Next step was to settle on background and sentiment. I just happened to have a green-gold watercolour background done and it was even on a card base so that was easy enough. Then I thought I’d add some green and gold leaves around the flower to add some texture. I used Wild Greenery from MFT Stamps but that’s not available from the BRI shop, however these Flora & Fauna, these MFT Stamps Layered Leaves and these Falling Leaves are. I cut some leaves out of Gold Mirror card stock as well as water colour paper. The ones out of water colour paper I swooshed some ZIG Clean Color Light Green on and with a water colour brush, diluted the colour a bit.



On the back of my flower I added foam tape and then after arranging the leaves around it, pressed it down to make sure the leaves were all adhered too.



Using the same Gold Mirror card stock, I also cut out the ‘Thank you’ sentiment that is part of the coordinating diecut for the flower. I also did one in black matte card stock and layered these to slightly off-set to create a shadow. This was then added to the flower and the card was done!


I’m sure I will use the rest of the flowers for something else soon. Or at least soon-ish...

Thanks for stopping by today and I hope you enjoyed the card!

Lots of love from Erica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel